Privileged Account Management – Is The Key To An Organization
Privileged account management is about auditing and managing account by privileged users and includes data access. A privileged user has administrative access and it means they can operate critical systems, set up and delete the user accounts and the Oracle database roles as a privileged user.
A privileged account is meant to be handed only to trusted people. This is because it involves root privileges such as installing software, changing system configurations, accessing secure data or changing user accounts to people you trust. Though you trust, there is a need to verify.
The fact stays that even trusted access must be monitored and controlled. Privileged account management plays this role. Companies must have the ability to annul at any time privilege and most privilege accounts must automatically sunset or should be a periodic review subject. The best is to restrict privileges to people who need them actively. Doing everything manually is based on the organization complexity and size; it may be impossible or even time-consuming.
The true reality is in exploiting and stealing privileges accounts as a crucial fact for virtual attackers in advanced attacks, despite the origin attack. Privileged accounts are the keys literally to the IT Kingdom. People are the valuable asset and data is a valuable asset for any organization. The larger is your organization, the more complex are the IT systems and it also means the organization has more privileged users. These users may be local or remote, contractors or employees, automated or human.
Work of PAM
In fact, there are more privileged users in many organizations than the regular employees. This may be due to growth explosion. The work of PAM is to protect your accounts. The PAM solutions are the best offering a set of functionalities and they integrate into the security ecosystem as they are simple to use and deploy.
These tools as a baseline help the security teams in various ways such as it:
- Discovers privileged user and their application accounts in all instances across the enterprise.
- Establishes custom workflows to get complete privileged access.
- Securely stores the credentials of privileged in a vault featuring the functionality of check-in and check-out.
- Automatically rotates passwords with every use, as employees leave the company or even at regular intervals , as required
- Records and monitors privileged session activity for forensics and audit.
- Receive custom reports and out-of-the-box reports on privileged activity.
- Puts into effect on endpoints the least privilege policies.